dimarts, 2 de desembre del 2014

L5. Fehling's test reducing sugars

Introduction:

Fehling's solution is a chemical test used to different between reducing and non-reducing sugars. This test is based on the reaction of a functional group of sugar molecules with Fehling's reagent.

Fehling's A: is a blue aqueous solution of copper (II) sulphate. 
Fehling's B: clear and colourless solution of potassium sodium tartrate and sodium hydroxide.

When a sugar has reducing ability, the mixture turns from deep blue colour to green colour suspension with a red precipitate. Some sugars are capable of reducing copper II ions to copper I ions. This reducing ability is useful in classifying sugars. When the sugar to be tested is added to the Fehling's solution and the mixture is heated, some sugars can be oxidized (to lose electrons) and the Fehling's mixture can obtain this electrons (reduced)

Material: 

- Test tube rack
- 10 ml pipet
- Distilled water
- 5 test tubes
- 5 spatula
- Lactose
- Maltose
- Glucose
- Sucrose
- Starch
- Fehling's A and B
- HCl

Procedure: 

In this experiment you will first determine with sugars give a positive test Fehling's reagent and then, by testing the reaction of some organic molecules containing onlya single functional group, you should be able to deduce which functional group of sugar is reacting with Fehling's reagent:

  1. Take 5 test tubes and label: G, M, S, L, ST.
  2. Put 2 mL of distilled water inside each tuve.
  3. With different spatulas put a small amount of each sugar. Dissolve the sugar.
  4. Add 2mL of Fehling's A solution and then Fehling's B.
  5. Place each test-tuve in a boiling water bath (250mLbeaker on a hotplate stirrer).
  6. Observe what is happening.
Starch Hydrolysis:
Hydrolysis is the reaction of a compound with water. As you know, starch is a polymer, consisting of many units of α-D-glucose covalently linked together.

  1. Place 2mL of 1% starch in a test tuve and add 0.5mL of 3M HCl. Mix and place this mixture in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
  2. After 10 minutes, remove the tuve from the water bath and let it cool. Neutralize this solution with 1M NaOH and mix well.
  3. Transfer 8-10 drops of this solution to a small test tuve.
  4. Add 1mL of Fehling's A solution and 1mL of Fehling's B.
  5. Heat for a few minutes in a boiling water bath.
  6. Record your observations. Compare the results of this test with your results for unhydrolyzed starch in the step 1 of this experiment.
  7. You can test the absence of starch with iodine solution too.       
Questions:

1-From your observations and the structures of the sugars given above, indicate which functional group in the sugar molecules reacts with Fehling's reagent.

 
The OH group is the one that reacts with Fehling's reagent because when it is free the sacharide will have the reducing power.

If the bond is monocarbonilic the sacharide will have reducing power, that's why all monosacharides have it (the OH from the C1 is always free).

 

2-Compare the results you obtained for the Fehling's test of starch and Fehling's test of hydrolyzed starch. Explain your results.

I haven't done the Fehling's test of hydrolized starch but i can deduce it:

In the Fehling's experiment the starch doesn't have a reducing power because the OH is not free but when the starch is hydrolyzed it turns into glucose and glucose has a free OH because it's a monosacharide. Also the last glucose of the starch chain will have a reducing power (the ones that are in the ends).

The starch components are alfa D glucoses: amylose alfa (1 -> 4) linear chain, and amylopectine alfa (1->6) ramifications.

3- Would have you obyined a Fehling's positive test if you had hydrolyzed the sucrose (as you have done with starch9? Why?  

If we hydrolize the sucrose, we break the o-glycosidic bond. The two monosaccharides that formed sucrose (glucose and fructose) would react with Fehling reagent and then the reaction will be positive becuase monosaccharides have reducing power.

4-  What does "reducing sugars" term mean?

A reducing sugar is the one that reacts positive to the Fehling's test. This means that they are capable of reducing coper II ions to copeer I ions. When the sugar to be tested is added to the Fehling's solution and the mixture is heated, some sugars can be oxidized (to lose electrons) and the Fehling's mixture can obtain the electrons (reduced).  


 

1 comentari:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ResponElimina